The e-Waste Association of South Africa (eWASA) was established in 2008 to manage the establishment of a sustainable environmentally sound e-waste management system for the country.
Companies that have joined the eWASA PRO are listed below.
Need to recycle e-waste? Please check our Locations.
As a prerequisite for selling Electrical appliances in South Africa, the NEWMA Act and Regulations regarding extended producer responsibility oblige Manufacturers, Wholesalers, Retailers, and Distributors of Electrical and Electronic equipment (EEE) to take back and recycle all types of end-of-life products.
The EPR Regulations and notices for Electrical and Electronic Equipment (EEE), Lighting and paper and packaging sectors were published on 5 May 2021 for implementation from 5 Nov 2021 onwards.
eWASA is a registered PRO in all three industry sectors.
If your business is:
- On-line Retailer
- Retailers and Wholesalers
- Distributors for Electrical and Electronic equipment
- Brand Owner
How to be compliant
Are you wondering if you are a producer?
Can we include packaging diagrams as per the plan submitted
Do you manufacture and/or sell the following product categories?
- Large Household Appliances
- Small Household Appliances
- IT and Telecommunication
- Consumer Electronic / Photovoltaic
- Lighting Equipment
- Electrical and Electronic Tools
- Toys/ Leisure and Sports Equipment
- Medical Appliances
- Monitoring and Control Equipment
- Automatic Dispensers
WE WOULD BE GLAD TO SUPPORT YOU WITH
Assessment and Consulting
We are able to advise you once we have analysed your status as a Producer and your relevant product spectrum. This provides you with an overview of all obligations and costs on each country. We are also happy to work together with you on deciding whether to register
We prepare all the necessary contracts for you and register you with the relevant systems and national registers. We also provide access to authorise representatives for all countries in which you do not have your own entities with which registration and appointment of the representative is required.
Classification of your products
Depending on the legal situation in the country in question, we deal with your put in the market Declaration and support you with product classification in up to 120 different national categories. Your product portfolio must be classified in each country separately.
On-line put on the market Declaration
With the aid of an online platform, we help you with central collation of quantities put on the market and forward your data to the take-back systems.
We reduce the complexity of a non-harmonised legal framework for you:
- One central point of contact
- Professional administration of the product portfolio
- Central on-line put on the market Declarations
- Producer – founded and non-for-profit take back systems
- Many years of accumulated experience of experts
- Excellent price / performance ratio
Register with SAWIC
- Follow the easy steps set out on the DFFE website to register.
- Who should register?
- Search existing registrations.
- Register as a producer
Reporting Obligations for PROs and Producers under EPR Regulations
1. Annual performance audit reports must be submitted to the Department within 3 months of the conclusion of the year end, which is on 31 December.
2. An annual external performance audit report must contain the following minimum requirements:
- Performance against the published targets;
- Breakdown of the allocation of the extended producer responsibility fee;
- Performance on all finance matters;
- Governance report; and
- Number of jobs created.
3. All producer responsibility organisations and producers who establishes and implements their own scheme must record and report, as a minimum on an annual basis, to the South African Waste Information System the quantities of the identified product that are:
- placed on the market by members of the producer responsibility organisation or by the producers who implement their own scheme;
- diverted away from landfill (recycled, reused, recovered, refurbished);
- Landfilled; and
- number of jobs created.