The e-Waste Association of South Africa (eWASA) was established in 2008 to manage the establishment of a sustainable environmentally sound e-waste management system for the country.
We would love to become your partner for waste solutions and give you the opportunity to concentrate on your core competencies.
- Co-ordinate matters arising from Legislation concerning WEEE
- International Consulting and Contracts
- On-line portal for centralised put on the market Declarations
- Time and cost optimisation
- Maximise the operation and efficiency of the members whilst driving continuous improvement of environmental performance
- Stimulate exchange of know-how and best practice and develop standards and technical specification to fulfil producer responsibility on behalf of producers
- Work towards harmonisation of procedures in regard to members and associated members or other structures that assume responsibility of producers for the management of WEEE
The association intends to pursue the following main activities in order to achieve these objectives:
- Collect, exchange and compare all information from its members, within the limits authorised by the current relevant legislation, in order to contribute to an efficient organisation of the operations
- Liaise with and provide to all parties concerned including international institutions, with all pertinent information to promote the interest of its members
- Organise and participate in events and projects for the exchange of information and experiences
- Assist member and potential members if requested with planning, creation, implementation and management of their WEEE related projects
- Publish and disseminate codes of practice which provides support services to its members
Who we are
eWASA is your central point of contact for advice and action. eWasa is a Pan African non-profit organisation based in Durban South Africa.
As a non-profit organisation eWASA, provides support through efficient services and attractive terms and conditions by a small and highly and competent team as well as strong Partners throughout Africa.
RANGE OF SERVICES
eWASA is your central point of contact for advice and action. eWASA is based in Durban South Africa, and operates on a National Basis. Our current Members have successfully established over 1000 collection points and are currently collected 17,733t of WEEE in 2015, according to Mapping South Africa’s Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Dismantling, PreProcessing and Processing Technology Landscape, Mintek External Report # 7574, published in March 2017 .
We would be glad to support you with :
Assessment and Consulting
Classification of your products
On-line put on the market Declaration
Our Members Stand For :
- Sustainability and transparency
- Fair and Equal Terms for all Clients
- Producer – founded and not for profit take back systems
- Sustainable financing concepts
- Many years of cumulated experience with country specific requirements
- High quality: Standards regarding collection, transport and recycling; ISO9001 and or ISO 14001 Certification
WEEE Technology Landscape Assessment Report.
WHY Recycle e-waste?
Millions of tonnes each year: Electrical and Electronic devices ad batteries are top imports
Electrical and Electronic equipment (EEE) has permeated into every aspect of our modern life, and our daily lives would be unthinkable without the help of batteries: over 1200 million tonnes of batteries are imported into the EU annually – including 800 000 tonnes of vehicle batteries. But what happens with waste Electrical and Electronic equipment (WEEE) and batteries at the end of their useful life?
Old Electrical devices are a potential danger for humans and for the environment. EEE and batteries contain toxic substances – pollutants. The good news is, if Electronic scrap and used batteries are sorted and disposed of properly, the negative effects can be minimised while recovering raw materials for the production industry. The bad news: we have not yet reached this stage. This could be catastrophic, when one considers the continuously increasing amounts of waste being produced.
What happens with WEEE and waste batteries?
WEEE is the fastest growing waste stream worldwide with 3 – 5 % growth per year. Only 10% of this waste is collected and recycled via take-back systems, the other 90% is either exported illegally or, and this applies to the majority of waste, is recycled under conditions that do not comply with international standards or is mistakenly disposed of with general household waste. Batteries are disposed of with equal carelessness, hindering proper collection and recycling.
What is e-waste?
- Large Household Appliances
- Small Household Appliances
- Office, Information and Communication Equipment (ICT)
- Consumer Electronic / Photovoltaic
- Lighting Equipment
- Electric and Electronic Tools
- Toys/ Leisure and Sports Equipment
- Security & Healthcare Equipment
- Automatic Issuing Machines